Friday, October 9, 2020

Practice Makes Perfect?

Perfect? Not so much. But it does makes things better; easier; stronger; more enjoyable. 

Writing, I've discovered, is all about practice. The more I do it, the more my words and sentences coalesce into something that makes sense (at least to me). 

Practice for writing requires a great deal of reading - I seem to choose hobbies that involve things I love to do. 

Writing letters to friends and family is practice. My journals give me space to practice. This blog allows me to practice.

I also recognize the value of practice in other areas of my life.

I recently started an on-line watercolour class. I'd like to say I'm making progress ... a recent seascape effort looks pretty good (when I remove my glasses and stand across the room). I will admit to a little discouragement and negative talk: Art isn't my thing! I'm frustrating myself by working at something I'm not good at! But then I remember practice! Practice in this is crucial if you want to understand the nuances of colour, shapes, shadow, brushes and light. 

My at-home fitness practice is making me stronger and able to handle the arduous gardening tasks I take on. I am getting stronger by practicing regularly.

I remember Dr. Christiane Northrup (in one of her wonderful books about menopause and aging) suggesting that we stand in yoga's Tree pose on each leg with our eyes closed for however many seconds we can manage. As we get older, our balance begins to diminish and becomes problematic. This simple exercise, practiced regularly, can help mitigate this loss of balance.

What we have to realize, though, is that, while practice will improve whatever we do, we likely won't become proficient at everything.

Some researchers dispute Malcolm Gladwell's belief (from his book 'Outliers') that the basis of success is 10,000 hours of practice. These researchers believe that all of us can't be Rembrandts or Olympic atheletes. Even after that much practice, some individuals will remain mediocre. 

I do believe strongly in the merits of practice but I think these researchers are on to something.

After what feels like 20,000 hours of housework in my lifetime, I continue to be mediocre at best.

No comments:

Post a Comment