Wednesday, September 16, 2020

The Secret Garden

I love to garden. The ever-changing nature of it is my muse, allowing my creative brain to express itself in a manner that rewards us for months. Gardening also challenges my physical self; a good thing after an idle winter.

New surprises arrive every day in Spring. Each day's walk around the yard is a revelation of new leaves and blooms in the perennial beds. The empty beds for seasonal plants require hard work every day to bring to life winter's plans and dreams. Spring requires faith that what you put into the ground (seed or transplant) will produce weeks ahead.

Summer is a time for minimal maintenance; culling a few weeds, dead-heading flowers. Mostly summer is a time of sitting back to appreciate and enjoy the early vegetables that are available every day for our table. A healthy garlic crop picked in July is a delight to the senses. August, though, is the height of summer to a gardener. Lush tomatoes and cucumbers are added to the varieties of lettuce, chard, carrots, beets and green beans to create colourful meals with minimum effort.

September brings a modicum of sadness; pulling out plants that have finished producing reminds me that, other than what I have captured in the freezer, the grocery store will be my food source for the months ahead. Did I remember to thank each plant for its bounty as it came out of the ground? 

But this ending is joined by the elegant blooming of Fall flowering plants. They take longer to bloom than spring blossoms; sometimes the smallest bud can take weeks before blooming into a glorious flower. The wait is worth it, as I look around our yard.

I've divided our yard into different gardens to indulge each thing I love. 

The house came with some well-established perennial beds of iris, hostas, seedums and lilies. This foundation allows me to fill in with new and different perennial plants, creating blooms from spring through fall.

I've created a large vegetable plot which provides hours of pleasant planning through the winter months.

An English garden indulges my love of roses, asters, mock orange, peonies ... The only requirement to get a spot in this garden is beauty.

The unknown garden of our yard, I call The Secret Garden (the picture): secret because even I didn't have a vision for this space. 

This fenced in area was just full of leaves when we first moved in. Early experiments in the soil proved it to be full of tree roots and shade. I began with a few types of ground cover and then transplanted hostas and shrubs to create interest. Free patio stones created a path and our own field stone provided steps around the garden. Our grandchildren painted pictures on the fence and on rocks, adding their own creativity. I bought an old red iron gate to keep the secret garden secret.

And so, when winter is upon us and life takes place indoors, I will remember this year's efforts and rewards through my memory and pictures taken, meals eaten with the garlic and frozen tomato sauce. Until I can order seeds again in February, when my thoughts and plans return to the gardens!

No comments:

Post a Comment