Thursday, August 20, 2020

Middle Age = Middle Sight

Yesterday morning, as I exercised on the floor, our dog, Molly, lost her ball under a dresser near me. I could clearly see the ball no more than 3" under the dresser. Molly, however, couldn't.

Molly is an extremely healthy eleven year old Airedale (yes, the same pup I introduced in an earlier post). Our Vet said to consider her a Cougar with plaque on her teeth. But despite her good health, I can see aging creeping up on her.

I could tell she knew the ball had gone under the dresser; she nosed around it for a while. But, at no time, did she get down on all fours to actually look under. I pointed and said "It's there" but she just pranced around the room checking other corners to see if it might just appear.

After a few minutes of this, she finally laid down in front of the dresser, reached a paw in and pulled the ball out triumphantly!

Now, I'm not one to go on about the antics of our pets but this one reminded me of my husband looking for something in the fridge. If the object of his desire is not at the front of the shelf at eye level, it doesn't exist. He wouldn't consider bending down (or moving things around) to search.

This is not a comment against his gender since I am just as guilty of losing things in the fridge (funny how we rarely notice our own lapses though).

I believe, rather, that this is an age thing. The older we get, the less we're willing to bend down or stand on tippy toes in search of things. Eye level rocks when you pass 60!

I see an upside down fridge coming this year! 

For poor Molly, I see more balls around the house to replace those that she can no longer see. 

Oops - now I see a tripping hazard waiting to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment