Sunday, August 16, 2020

Hello Again

Hello again. 

OK, I know it's been a while and 'Hello again' seems a tad inadequate. To be truthful, I'm returning to the blog at the request of readers of my book. Yes - I said My Book!

In the intervening years since last I wrote here, life has ticked along as it does for everyone. Marriages have taken place, grandchildren have been born, a job and then retirement filled those years.

But through it all I wrote. Researching Olive Wilmot's short but remarkable life was initiated after I closed The Village Linen Cupboard in Newcastle. At that point, it was more of an occupation to fill time than anything but I quickly became determined to present an alternative view to the salacious stories told about her in Newcastle. 

Had They But Known Her is the outcome. Self published in 2018, the book has enjoyed a level of success I never dreamt possible. 

Oh, it's never hit the Best Seller lists but I am continuously surprised and delighted by the interest and enjoyment readers express. Thank you. You have invited me to speak at your Book Clubs (leading to a guided tour of Newcastle 'Olive' sites for one eager club) and to give a talk at St. George's Church in Newcastle. Each individual or group I hear from is a new surprise. All of the attention so far has been by word of mouth; one reader to another; one book club to another.

There is nothing more flattering than to have your book make its way around by personal recommendation. But, apparently, I'm not easy to find for those who would like to know more about me. I thank Linda at the last Book Club I spent time with for letting me know this. 

That's where this blog comes in. Since I am an amalgam of all of my life experiences, I thought it might be interesting for readers to catch a bit of my history so decided to continue on here rather than beginning new.

For those of you who are wondering, I continue to write. Although my first novel (and current one underway) explore historic fiction, my writing style is generally narrative, a touch philosophical, and reaches into the many corners of my life as a women of a certain age. While I'd like this blog to be all about Olive, my thoughts here will be more expansive I think, although it's early days. 

So, que sera sera. What will be will be. 

BTW - for those who stumble on this blog and haven't yet read the book, Had They But Known Her is available from Amazon.ca and .com 

If you'd like to reach out to me, I'd love to hear from you, the all important Reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment